Colonel's Lady, The: A Novel

The Colonel's Lady - Laura Frantz For a Christian Romance novel, this is one of the best that I've read. The author uses lots of words that actually belong in the time period of the setting. I give her major props for doing so since many romance historical writers that I've read forget that words were different back when. On top of that, the story flowered very easily. Every now and then it switched perspectives, but it still flowed rather well. I had problems putting down the book at 2am even though I had to be at work at 8am. However, I remember that this book was worth it.Usually when I read Christian romances, the interactions with God make no sense and feel forced. A lot of them just stick out awkwardly. However, Frantz did a good job of blending God into the story. I may not have connected with the main character's devotion to God, but her prayers and interactions with God definitely added to her characterization.There are a few things that I don't like. It seems like for every step forward that the protagonist took to get away from stereotypical gender roles, she took two steps back. That's why I almost gave this book 4 stars instead of 5. On the other hand, in terms of the historical context, the gender roles made sense. In that case, I like how the Roxy is placed into a man's position and exerts some power at the fort. I don't care for the descriptions of the Redstone women. I feel like it was too obvious that they're examples of how Christians shouldn't be living if they're indoctrinated in Christ. I wish the protagonist could've been a bit more ambiguous towards them and not treated them as carefree obnoxious women who only develop into "Christian" ladies once they have babies and settle down. It would've been nice to see more equal treatment of the Redstone women.At first, the only character I didn't care for was Abby. She seems like a character randomly placed in the book so that the author can add a plot twist and some characterization to the villain, hero, and Roxy. I rolled my eyes at the whole, "We look alike, but I can explain. I did not have relations with that woman." Of course not. He's the hero!All complaining aside, I really did enjoy this book and would recommend it if you enjoy Christian Romances.