The Amulet: A Faedra Bennett Custodian Novel

The Amulet - Alison Pensy Honestly, I'd give this book more of a 3.5. I really enjoyed reading it, but there were a few things that confused me.Let's begin with the impossible actions. There are a few scenes that seem impossible to me. The action described defies the basic laws of physics. I recognize that they're in another world with magic, so it's possible for unrealistic things to happen. However, the skeptic in my mind just doesn't agree with the possibility of defying the laws of nature in a book that's not science fiction.I do like the main character Faedra. Her "goody-two-shoes" personality appeals to me because sweet main characters aren't too common lately. The author does a good job of creating a character that is nice and usually follows the rules but still has quirks that makes her interesting. The one thing I don't like about Faedra is that sometimes she seems like Kristen Stewart, except with four emotions instead of one. She's also easily impressed and usually dropping her jaw.There are some instances in which Faen acts out of character. It could be because Faen is guarding himself well and only let's his real personality out occasionally, but sometimes I just don't understand why Faen acts out of character, especially later in the book when developing his relationship with Faedra. I like their relationship and friendship, and I think it adds a great element to the book. However, their relationship seems awkward at first, and my reaction to their relationship climax was, "What the heck did I just read?!" I think the climax could've been orchestrated better and not have seemed so forced.Plot wise, I love the twists and turns. It's not just like any other faerie/fairy story out there. I love love how Faedra's mother plays into this story. The mysterious mother keeps my attention, and I hope there's more information about her in later books. I like how she purposely laid out Faedra's task yet still left questions for Faedra to solve, allowing Faedra to grow on her own. One other thing that bugs me is Faedra's interactions with her family. Maybe the British act differently than Americans, but Faedra's relationship with her father, uncle, and aunt just seem so casual. She doesn't address Uncle Leo's wife as "Aunt Nicki." It's just Nicki. To me, this is complete disrespect. She also treats the older people in her family more like friends than family, and it just baffles me. However, I realize that all families are different, and that I should appreciate this book showing me a different style of family. It's just very different from my own. There's lots of description, and some of it is chunky. It makes the book a bit hard to slug through at times. That's the main reason I didn't rate this book as a 4. Description can be a good thing, and sometimes it's well used in this book. However, if some of it was subtracted or made more concise, the book wouldn't have lost its meaning.Also, just for kicks, since the author grew up in England, she uses lots of British terms. I learned some new words from this book. Yay, learning experiences!