Pearl in the Sand: A Novel

Pearl in the Sand: A Novel - Tessa Afshar The book in general kept me entertained. However, it seemed a bit unbelievable at sometimes. The most unbelievable part was probably Rahab's instant conversion to Judaism. It didn't make sense that she would so easily believe in another God when her society's gods failed everyone. It'd make more sense if she was skeptical of God. She has Christian ideals before Christianity even exists. I know I'm supposed to believe that her prostitution is bad, but I don't believe the book gives enough evidence since details aren't given and she's very choosy about who she does things with. She has freedom that other women in her time period don't have. If her career choice is ripping her apart on the inside, she doesn't show it much except towards the end. It's quite unbelievable that her culture would look at zonahs as bad people since prostitutes are in the temple, too. In fact, it feels like the book endorses friends with benefit relationships when Rahab takes in Debir and looks back fondly on their friendship. The book doesn't show the gruesomeness of her profession.The writing isn't very descriptive when it comes to deep feelings, and a lot of cliche figures of speech are used. A bunch of figures of speech are too modern for the time period of the setting. I felt like the ending was a bit anti-climatic and expected something more.The book was cliche just like the writing. It was like a romance novel except with intercourse after marriage instead of before. The Salmone's love at first seemed unbelievable, but later it was convincing. Personally, the love scenes sort of filled me with warmth, but at the same time the cheesiness made me laugh. It's a very good light read, but I'd only recommend it if you're Christian. I may be wrong, but unless someone has a background of Christianity, I don't think they'd understand the values and ideals in the story.