A Princess of Mars (Penguin Classics)

A Princess of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs, John Seelye I had a hard time getting into this book at first. I had to reread many sentences to understand what the author meant. A few sentences contradict themselves. First, the author says, "Most..." but then counters with "A few..." right after it. Reading carefully is required to understand what's going on. I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi, but the construction of the author's world is very believable with a few flukes. He adheres to general scientific reasoning, especially considering it was published back in 1917.The gender roles and characterization of the Indians in the book annoyed me a bit, but it was written a long time ago. I had to keep reminding myself of that fact as I scoffed at Dejah Thoris being unable to protect herself although the author seemed to set her up as someone who could fight for herself.Towards the end of the book, I became more engrossed in it. It's not the most interesting, entertaining, best thing I've read, but the middle and end of the book keep my interest and pulled me in. I don't recommend me this for everyone. However, if you like sci-fi, then this will probably be a good match for you. Even though this book is a part of a series, I think the first book is complete in itself. I don't plan to read anymore of this series, but we'll see what happens.