The Awakening (Norton Critical Editions)

The Awakening (Norton Critical Editions) - Kate Chopin, Margo Culley Reading this story was a pain in the neck. All I could think was, "Dumb! Da Dumb! Da DUUUMMMB!" I know the author set Edna up as a flawed tragic character, and boy, was she really flawed. This is not a character that I would ever claim for feminism. I honestly hope feminists are a bit smarter than this woman, especially considering that Edna thinks she has escaped from being a possession by making her own choices when, in reality, she hasn't.The main reason why I hated reading this story was because of the writing style. The book seemed to have sections of boring simple sentences, and then sections of beautifully worded phrases. Then those beautifully worded phrased turned into silly metaphors that I could not take seriously. In fact, I wrote them down so I can mock them in the future. I had sincere problems accessing the text and understanding Edna's choices. All I could think was that Edna was naive and really needed some education on relationships and society. However, I honestly don't think we're supposed to like her based on the way the narrator talks about her and her choices. The inaccessibility of the text could be that I can't revert my mind to older ways of thinking. I can't think in terms of the setting that the book was written in.Anyway, the only redeemable features of the book are the leitmotivs and symbolism. The same themes carry on from the beginning 'til the end, and with footnotes, it's easy to catch allusions and all the fun literature stuff that English lovers like to geek about. I think it can possibly be a great discussion book, but only if you can catch on to the connections and foreshadowing and are willing to get over Edna's poor decision-making skills. I also think this book can be a great story for writers to study if they want to learn more about working literature elements into their own stories. Otherwise, I suggest you avoid this story. There are better stories out there, especially when it comes to Louisiana fiction. I feel like we've wasted precious time in class talking about this book.